Basics of Supervision Certificate Program
The Partnership is pleased to announce an online learning certificate program for CSEA-represented New York State employees. We designed this unique learning opportunity for employees who have busy work schedules. Participants will increase their knowledge of supervisory skills from the comfort of their home or workplace with supervisory approval.
By completing the Basics of Supervision Certificate Program, you will:
- Acquire a better understanding of the responsibilities involved in being a supervisor.
- Describe the skills necessary to enhance workplace relationships.
- Identify techniques for effective delegation.
How to Register
To participate, you must register for a Partnership Online Learning Certificate and apply for a Partnership Online Learning License in the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS). The Basics of Supervision Certificate Program will be offered from July 6, 2022, to January 31, 2023.
All CSEA-represented NYS employees are eligible to participate. Supervisory approval is not required for courses taken outside the normal workday. It may be possible for employees to take courses during working hours with supervisory approval.
Employees can register for the Basics of Supervision Certificate Program between July 6, 2022, and January 30, 2023. Courses will be available from July 6, 2022, through January 31, 2023. All required courses must be completed by January 31, 2023.
Participants are required to successfully complete 15 courses and achieve a passing grade of 70% or higher in each course. All online learning courses will be taken through the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS).
Participants who successfully complete the required 15 courses by January 31, 2023, will be awarded a Basics of Supervision Certificate from the Partnership. To print your certificate, log in to SLMS, go to My Learning page, locate the appropriate certificate program, and click on the Print Certificate button. Note: The Print Certificate button will only be available if the status is Completed.
Workforce Development Competencies
Workforce development competencies are job-based skills employees need to succeed across a wide variety of occupations. When you complete this certificate, you will have an opportunity to enhance your skills in one of these competency areas.
This certificate will assist you in developing the following competency:
A Certificate Course Listing is a useful tool when you are preparing for a job search and are ready to interview. The following self-paced online courses are provided by Skillsoft and will be available to you through the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS) once you have registered for this Certificate program and a Partnership Online Learning License.
Want to learn more? The Basics of Supervision Certificate ends on January 31, 2023; however, you can continue learning about supervisory skills any time you like. In fact, research shows that if you space your learning activities on a topic over time, you'll get more out of your learning experience and remember it longer. You can extend your learning with these suggested activities! Unlike your 15 required online courses, these activities are optional and do not need to be completed to receive your certificate.
Digital Books and Videos
Get access to thousands of free digital books and online videos! You just need to register or already be registered for a Partnership Online Learning License. Once you have a license, then you'll have access to the Empire Knowledgebank (EKB) and Skillsoft eBooks and Videos Portal to access as many titles as you like anytime. For more information, you can check out Using the EKB and Skillsoft eBook and Video Portal how-to guide.
- How Did I Not See This Coming?: A New Manager’s Guide to Avoiding Total Disaster, by Katy Tynan
- How to Tell Anyone Anything: Breakthrough Techniques for Handling Difficult Conversations at Work, by Peter English
- Management Basics in Easy Steps, Second Edition, by Tony Rossiter
- Working Relationships: Using Emotional Intelligence to Enhance Your Effectiveness with Others, Revised Edition, by Bob Wall
- Workplace Conflict Resolution Essentials For Dummies, by Vivian Scott
Recommended Digital Books
- Experience Conflict from the Other Side, by Amy Gallo (1:00)
- Reframe Difficult Conversations, by Amy Gallo (1:00)
- Managing Former Peers, by Alisa Cohn (2:00)
- Understanding Emotional Intelligence, by Marcia Reynolds (2:00)
- First-Time Managers, by James M. Hunt (3:00)
- What Managers Need to Know About Inclusion, by Risha Grant (3:00)
- The Five Characteristics of Effective Employee Feedback, by Michelle Tillis Lederman (3:00)
- Better Delegation, by Kevin Eikenberry (4:00)
- Great Management is About the Relationship, by Curt Coffman (4:00)
- Leading More Effectively Remotely, by Kevin Eikenberry (4:00)
These courses are offered by the Partnership and are open to all CSEA-represented NYS employees. Webinars can be taken from any computer with an internet connection through the Partnership's Skills for Success program. You can also view recordings of webinars.
- Better Team Skills (webinar)
- Building Better Work Relationships
- Dealing with Difficult Behaviors
- Keep Your Cool: Ways to Protect Your Professional Reputation
- Practical Skills for Resolving Conflict
- Problem Solving: A Six-Step Process (webinar)
- Workplace Social Skills
Contact us at (518) 486-7814 or (800) 253-4332 or email [email protected].