Effective Reading Skills 2
- Partnership Course Catalog
- Effective Reading Skills 2
This six-week course is a continuation of Effective Reading Skills 1 and will help participants read and understand written materials. Participants will explore techniques such as skimming, scanning, learning the roots of words, and asking meaningful questions to better understand chosen passages.
Attendance is required all days.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Analyze text for meaning, purpose, point of view, methodology, and limitations.
- Interpret statistics in charts and graphs, identifying trends and their application to lives and work.
- Identify one’s questions on a reading and topic, and do research; apply skimming and scanning techniques.
- Differentiate between fact, idea, opinion, and learning issue; identify the potential for bias, both an author’s and one’s own.
- Identify and connect ideas across genres of writing.